Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Media Literacies

New Media

I do agree with NML Staff's opinion on new media and being literate on the subject. They are accurate on how being knowledgeable in this subject matter creates not only skills for the classroom and the workplace, but life skills as well. I think that in the 21st century if you are not familiar with technology there are not many job options for you. I find it nearly impossible to believe that individuals can go a whole day without using some type of personal, technological device. I know for a fact that the literacy device I am most familiar with is multitasking. It is one of my biggest attributes. I am a full time college student and work two jobs that require me to know 4 different computer systems. Time management is nearly impossible and multitasking and technology make my life a whole lot easier.

The New Media Literacies Project was created to help the younger generation become more technologically advanced. Their mission is to raise public understanding about what it means to be literate in a technologically advanced, multicultural world. They define what it means to be a part of this generation, living in this technological world. It explains what it means to have a Facebook or Myspace and what you are really contributing to by using Google and Wikipedia.

It is important for everybody in the 21st century to be technologically literate. As a college student I can safely say that without computer/internet skills I would most likely fail. I think the same can be said for many K-12 students today. The NML project is pushing to further the younger generation's technological knowledge, and I think it is one of the greatest opportunities for younger children out there.

For more information CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment